About

1.24.2009

Hooray to Obama...

...for lifting the ban on abortion funds! Now foreign family planning programs around the world can receive US funding. These clinics aren't just about providing abortions--they're about family planning, ie the use of contraceptives, birth control, etc. You know, offering services that may prevent an unwanted pregnancy to begin with.

I don't want to get into a whole discussion about the morality of abortion. It's such a tricky issue. Basically, I hate how it's so two-sided. I find a lot wrong with abortion but that doesn't mean I judge people who've had one. Everyone's situation is different. I think abortions should be legal but we need to do as much as possible to prevent abortions from happening in the first place. Hand out those condoms! Make the morning-after pill easy to access! Talk (yes, talk) about sex!

I just don't understand why some pro-lifers want to restrict birth control AND make abortions illegal... Wouldn't they want to do anything to prevent abortions from happening in the first place?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it irritates me how people say Obama isn't going to change anything when already, in his first week, he's made two important changes: he's lifting the global gag rule and closing Gitmo within a year. It's not just the big things, people.

    Anyway, I don't find *anything* wrong with abortion if that's what is best for that particular woman (meaning I have no moral qualms about it whatsoever), but things should be done so women don't find themselves in that situation, particularly better sex education in school and from parents. And there's another thing Obama is going to to: get rid of "abstinence-only" education. Look, it doesn't even work for the kids of the people who tout it (I'm looking at you, Sarah Palin).

    And people at a pharmacy should not be allowed to refuse to hand out the morning after pill just because of their personal beliefs. What's next, not giving someone with cancer their medicine because you think they brought it on themselves by smoking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It used to be a joke to get the morning-after pill in Ohio. You had to go to a family planning clinic and get checked just to make sure you have ovaries before they gave you the pills. Of course, that entailed a lot of pointless waiting, something many people probably forgo and then find themselves pregnant. I think that has changed, though.

    I'm definitely not "pro-abortion" (is anyone, really?) and I find it to be a heartbreaking situation. I just hate how there are only two sides--for or against--when really, I am against it morally but not against people being able to have it done. It's so complex. Bottom line is that we should make alternatives readily available to cut down the amount of abortions needed in the first place without making it illegal. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete